WHAT I DO
Transform under-performing groups into creative SWAT teams
I have taken small to non-existent teams and built them into creative departments that have produced some of the highest performing websites, newsletters, and digital ads in the industry.
Find the digital pearls in an ocean of metrics
With over a decade of analyzing key metrics for ads, landing pages, newsletters, and websites, I can spot key trends, figure out the causes, and quickly implement the changes.
Engage users on a more personal and deeper level
I have helped persuade 900 alums to attend their reunion (the most ever at Harvard) and give over 30 million dollars, grow a running club from 3 to over 500 members, and create a national women’s network for Advertising.com all on microscopic budgets.
CALVERT EDUCATIONAL SERVICES Hunt Valley, MD 2011 - 2012
Built a marketing/creative team from scratch that became a lead-generating machine. The team increased sales for the homeschooling product and enrollments for the public school partners yet spent less on marketing.
- Decreased the cost per lead from $40+ to less than $15 by optimizing landing pages and Google Adwords
- Increased sales for the homeschool product by 24% despite previously declining revenues
- Revamped the email marketing (with What Counts) so emails were more targeted, the campaigns were easier to test, and the results more actionable
MOJO40.COM New York, NY 2010 - 2011
After being asked for the 57th time how to set up a LinkedIn profile, a Facebook page, a blog, and anything remotely related to digital media, I figured it was easier to put all that advice in a central place. I partnered with a fellow classmate to create Mojo40.com, a blog that helps people over 40 add some mojo to their digital presence and their careers.
ADVERTISING.COM/AOL Baltimore, MD 2005 – 2009
Turned around a small creative group handling just ads into a full service advertising/marketing department that created branding campaigns, websites, videos, traditional collateral, and internal promotions.
- Developed campaigns that achieved both branding and among the highest response rates in the industry for clients such as Southwest Airlines, Classmates.com, Nikon, Blockbuster, and 1800Petmeds
- Created a daily automated report so team members could see exactly how all their campaigns were performing in engagement and effectiveness. Continuous feedback inspired and taught team what strategies worked and what did not
- Developed a project tracking system so that the status of each project was completely transparent to everyone, resulting in virtually 100% on-time delivery
- Expanded staff from 6 to 24 and created new positions/levels. This enabled the team to take on landing pages, newsletters, and websites. It also dramatically increased team morale because it established clear career paths
- Led the team in creating an internal and external marketing campaign for advertising.com that included creating a tagline/rallying cry (“We make the world click”), a completely new website (page views went up over 300% shortly after) , company recruitment videos, Flash presentations on how Advertising.com
TAKE OFF COMMUNICATIONS Baltimore, MD 2003 – 2005
Organized a network of freelancers to handle everything from websites and online newsletters to print ads and collateral campaigns.
- Bootstrapped entire operation with one partner
- Delivered agency quality campaigns at a much lower cost
VIRTUAL VEGAS (Acquired by Vivendi Universal) San Francisco, CA 1998 – 2002
Hired as employee #4 to grow and produce the Virtual Vegas site. Recruited the entire creative/production department and the head of sales (top salesperson) during the boom time when anyone with an internet background had multiple job offers.
- Created several newsletters with different levels of sponsorship, which drove over 50% of the profit for Virtual Vegas. Reached 10 million subscribers with a 15% open rate
- Developed a new revenue model by creating branded slot games for casinos
- Introduced a token prize system to incentivize users to try out new sponsored games, encourage their friends to join, and stay on the site longer
DIGITAL CITY/AOL San Francisco, CA 1997 – 1998
Led a team of producers, writers, and freelancers to develop fresh content and ideas to attract Bay Area AOL users and become their go-to place for all things local. Implemented changes on the site that increased monthly hours from 49,500 to 152,600.
- Raised production significantly of new pages, sections, chats, and forums without increasing costs by creatively using UC Berkeley interns, freelancers, and AOL volunteers
- Created an e-card section that was so popular that it would sometimes crash the servers - the art work on the cards was user generated for free – an early example of crowdsourcing
- Introduced a lead-based system that made it far easier for users to respond to advertisers Worked closely with the sales team in the design implementation.
Previously worked as a copywriter at W.B Doner, Earle Palmer Brown, and McCann Erickson. Wrote award-winning print/radio/TV campaigns for clients such as Bob’s Big Boy, Roy Rogers, and Wells Fargo Bank.
B.A, Biochemistry concentration Harvard University – Cambridge, MA
Harvard Club of New York Membership Committee Member (2010)
Improving club website, communications, and member programs
Harvard Class of 84 Reunion Committee Member (2008-Present)
Record number of reunion attendees (900, over 60% of the class) and over 30 million dollars given as a class gift despite being held during the Great Recession
National Co-chair of Wonder Women (2006-2009)
Women’s career mentoring organization for Advertising.com/AOL
Co-founder of Federal Hill Runners Club (2003-Present)
Over 500 registered runners in the Baltimore area